Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Federal Student Aid

What is Federal Student Aid


It is financial aid from the federal government to help qualified students pay for education expenses at an eligible college, technical school, vocational school, or graduate school.  The Financial Aid Office will help students navigate the financial aid process, such as filing applications for federal programs and completing required loan documents.


How to Apply for Federal Student Aid


Students are responsible for completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is processed by the U.S. Department of Education and the results are sent to the school and the student in a document known as a Student Aid Report (SAR).  The school cannot determine a financial aid offer without an SAR.  You do not need to wait until you test for a program or have been accepted into a program to start this process. Please read the following instructions carefully. 


  • Step 1.  Gather items that will assist you in completing the FAFSA, for example: tax returns, bank statements, untaxed income, assets, child support, etc. 
  • Step 2.  Go to to create a FSA ID (username) and password. If you are a dependent student, a parent must also apply for a FSA ID and password.  The FSA ID must be used to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites.   Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents.
  • Step 3.  The FAFSA can be completed online at  For classes beginning June 1, 2020 or later, choose the school year 2020-2021. Please choose PRCTC as your school.  Our federal school code is 017174. If you are not able to apply online, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 740-642-1326
  • Step 4.  If you provided an email address on your FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education will send your Student Aid Report by e-mail within 3-5 days. If you did not provide an e-mail address it will arrive by mail within 3 weeks. If you would like to check the status of your FAFSA, go to or call 1-800-433-3243. 
  • Step 5.  All students applying for Federal Student Aid must meet with the Financial Aid Office prior to enrollment.  PRCTC obtains written confirmation from students on the types and amounts of Federal Student Aid that a student wants for an award year prior to disbursement.     Please contact the Financial Aid Office at 740-642-1326 to schedule an appointment. 


What Types of Federal Student Aid Are Available?


Federal Student Aid is available to students enrolled in an eligible program of 600 or more clock-hours.  Pickaway-Ross CTC offers three forms of Federal Student Aid: Federal Pell Grants, Direct Subsidized Loans, and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.  To determined Federal Student Aid eligibility, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate financial award year. Students needing assistance may contact the financial aid office.  Federal student aid will not be originated and/or disbursed until the FAFSA has been received and the student’s financial aid file is complete.

  • Pell Grant – The Federal Pell Grant is based on financial need. This grant is part of the Title IV entitlement of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Since the Federal Pell Grant is an entitlement, it does not have to be repaid, if the student completes their program. Maximum amount for 2020-2021 is $6,345.00.
  • Direct Student Loans - Subsidized and unsubsidized loans are federal student loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education at a four-year college or university, community college, or trade, career, or technical school. The U.S. Department of Education offers eligible students at participating schools Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans. (Some people refer to these loans as Stafford Loans or Direct Stafford Loans.)  After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you are required to begin repayment. During this period, you'll receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you'll be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly.  There are several repayment options available that are designed to meet the individual needs of borrowers. Your loan servicer can help you understand which repayment options are available to you. Generally, you’ll have 10 to 25 years to repay your loan, depending on the repayment plan that you choose. 
    1. Direct Subsidized Loan – Direct Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need.  Your school determines the amount you can borrow, and the amount may not exceed your financial need.  The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan while you’re in school at least half-time, for the first six months after you leave school (referred to as a grace period), and during a period of deferment (a postponement of loan payments).  Students who first borrowed subsidized loans after July 1, 2013 can only receive subsidized loans for 150 percent of the published length of their current program. The maximum amount is $3,500.00 (1st year) for both independent and dependent students. 
    2. Direct Unsubsidized Loan – Direct Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate and graduate students; there is no requirement to demonstrate financial need.  Your school determines the amount you can borrow based on your cost of attendance and other financial aid you receive.  You are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods.   If you choose not to pay the interest while you are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, your interest will accrue (accumulate) and be capitalized (that is, your interest will be added to the principal amount of your loan).  The maximum amount is $9,500.00 (1st year) less any subsidized money for independent students, and $5,500.00 (1st year) less any subsidized money for dependent students. 

For more information, please visit 


Code of Conduct Regarding Student Loans


PRCTC adopts and adheres to the Code of Conduct established by the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrator’s (NASFAA). 


Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN)


First time Direct Student Loan borrowers will need to complete both entrance counseling and a master promissory note through before any loan funds will be disbursed to PRCTC. 

  • Direct Loan Entrance Counseling

If you have not previously received a Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL), the Federal Government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming; the entrance counseling will fulfill counseling requirements for Direct Subsidized Loans and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.  During entrance counseling, you will learn about the following:

  • What a Direct Loan is and how the loan process works
  • Managing your education expenses
  • Other financial resources to consider to help pay for your education
  • Your rights and responsibilities as a borrower
  • Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN)

The Master Promissory Note (MPN) is a legal document in which you promise to repay your loan(s) and any accrued interest and fees to the U.S. Department of Education. It also explains the terms and conditions of your loan(s); for instance, it will include information on how interest is calculated, when interest is charged, available repayment plans, and deferment and cancellation provisions.  You can borrow additional Direct Loans on a single MPN for up to 10 years. It’s important to understand that when you sign an MPN you’re promising to repay all loans that are made under that MPN. As stated on the MPN, you must repay your loan even if:

  • you don’t complete your education,
  • you can’t get a job after you leave school, and/or
  • you didn’t like the education you received.

Before—or at the time of—the first disbursement of your loan, you'll receive a disclosure statement that gives you information about any loan that the school plans to disburse under your MPN, including the loan amount, fees, and the expected disbursement dates and amounts.


  • Direct Loan Exit Counseling

Exit counseling provides important information to prepare you to repay your federal student loan(s).  During exit counseling, you will review your rights and responsibilities as a borrower.  If you have received a subsidized or unsubsidized loan under the Direct Student Loan Program, you must complete exit counseling each time you:

  • Drop below half-time enrollment
  • Graduate
  • Leave school

If exit counseling is not completed, PRCTC will place a hold on your student record.  Exit counseling can be completed online at  


Veteran’s Education Benefits


How to Apply for VA Education Benefits

Applying for your VA education benefits can be done in just a few steps:

  • Apply online at
  • Visit your nearest VA regional office to apply in person.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.
  • Contact the VA Certifying Official at PRCTC at 740-642-1326.
  • Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.


To Apply for VA Education Benefits You Will Need to Provide the Following: 

  • DD-214 Discharge papers (Certified Copy) 
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) for members of Selective Reserve (See your Commanding Officer for this document) 


To be certified for VA Education Benefits through PRCTC, students must submit all required documentation/forms to the Financial Aid Office and complete the enrollment process.


To comply with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, PRCTC will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of last fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.


State, Local, and County Funding


Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities - Financial assistance may be available from this local agency for students with physical, mental or emotional disabilities that present a handicap to employment. Partial to total aid may be available to cover tuition, books, and supplies. Contact your local or area Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation office.  For more information, please visit


Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) - Financial assistance may be available from this program for students who qualify. Partial to total aid may be available to cover tuition, books and supplies. Please contact your local county Jobs One-Stop center for more information and eligibility requirements.   For more information, please visit   


Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) – Financial assistance may be available for students who have lost jobs or had hours and wages reduced because of foreign trade. Contact your employer or your local county Jobs One-Stop center for more information and eligibility requirements.  For more information, please visit


For more information on financial aid, please contact our financial aid specialist at (740) 642- 1326.

© 2020. Pickaway-Ross Career & Technology Center. All Rights Reserved.
View text-based website